As one of the best World Cups of all time comes to an end, we take a look at the country that will host the next tournament in four years time.
The tiny oil-rich nation of Qatar was given the 2022 World Cup when FIFA was still being run by some of the most corrupt officials imaginable who have all since been removed from their positions for taking millions in bribes.
So what can football fans expect to find in Qatar? Here are 10 fun facts about the first Islamic nation to host the World Cup.
1. In Qatar being gay is illegal and homosexual acts can be punished by death.
2. Qatari women are expected to follow a strict conservative dress code.
3. Female tourists are warned not to wear sleeveless dresses or tight clothing in public. Men are warned against wearing shorts or vests.
4. Muslims are not allowed to consume alcohol in Qatar and those caught drinking it are liable to be flogged.
5. Stoning is also a legal punishment in Qatar.
6. They have Sharia-based family courts that officially treat a woman’s testimony as being worth half that of a man.
7. The 12 brand new stadiums are being built using slave labour from other countries and many of the workers have had their passports confiscated so they can’t leave.
* Yeah we know the plural of stadium is stadia but it’s a stupid word so we’re not using it.
8. Women brave (or stupid) enough to report a rape are sent to prison for adultery and their alleged rapist usually receives around 100 lashes (not for the rape but for having extra-marital sex).
9. There are no general elections in Qatar as the country has been ruled by the Al Thani family since 1825.
10. Qatar have never qualified for a World Cup and are absolutely dreadful at football.